Welcome to Living-Autistic

Call me OT; I have Asperger's Syndrome. AS is an autism spectrum disorder, or to put it more simply: a Type of High functioning Autism.
I have created this blog as a way of providing personal stories, insight, opinion, resorce, and help to other people living with a ASD's.(Autism spectrum Disorders) I have decided to do this based completely on my own frustration with the fact that there doesn't seem to be much reading material for/about autistic adults and the way they interact with, and get by in the world.

I am admitedly Very poor at communicating, so my posts may, at times seem Ill thought out, or just poorly concieved. Further, My spelling is horrible; but I will do my best to communicate my thoughts clearly, and concicely. Please bear with me.

I hope you find this blog to be helpful, and If you read a post you found particularly helpful , or if you have a question, or an Idea for a post, I hope you leave a comment.

Thank you for reading,

-OT

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Lists

I think it may be important to mention lists.

At a Very young age, Over a decade before my diagnosis of Asperger's my mother recognized my need for lists to function day-to-day.
She realized that if she asked me to do something, I would forget, I would forget to do pretty much everything. Not because I was a belligerent child, not because I wanted to misbehave, but because they would simply not register as important to me.

My mother had make me lists for everything, from my routine in the morning, to what time I should eat; Times to play something not involving my obsession, to what things I'd need to remember when I left the house.
My father was FAR less understanding. He couldn't understand how, his son could be old enough to read, and remember every last thing he had ever learned about Dinosaurs, but couldn't remember to do his chores, or what he had read for his homework.
-This would actually be the catalyst for a lot of strain between my father, and myself (but that is probably something best left for another post)

Despite my troubles with my father not understanding, my Mother simply tried to accommodate me, by making lists.

If my mother wanted something done - for example: Take out the trash. It would go on the list, because she knew I would forget that she had asked me.
However, she still would ask me. I would completely freak out if something was on the list, and I didn't have prior knowledge to reference to. It would completely become an overwhelming thing to me, and most often result in outbursts, Screaming, rocking, hitting, and eventually "Shutting Down."

Even now, Lists are the only thing that keep me functioning. To this day, I still run through my checklist in the morning, before I go out, to remember to eat, and even buy groceries. Not a grocery list, but a task on the list.

-Tuesday- Brush teeth, Shower, Shave, Get Dressed, T.O. Garbage, exercise, Eat Breakfast, Buy Groceries.....etc.

Then there are sub lists; One taped next to the door reads what I like to have with me to go out:
Zippo, Handkerchief, Pocket knife, Wallet, Phone, Hat, Watch, Jacket.


Lists are a helpful way of getting by, and putting order into your life. I'll even set alarm clocks, Cell Phone Event reminders, Anything, and everything I can to keep my life on track, and keep me functioning.
If you have a hard time remembering things, I highly recommend you make yourself some lists. Look into it, It is well worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment