Welcome to Living-Autistic

Call me OT; I have Asperger's Syndrome. AS is an autism spectrum disorder, or to put it more simply: a Type of High functioning Autism.
I have created this blog as a way of providing personal stories, insight, opinion, resorce, and help to other people living with a ASD's.(Autism spectrum Disorders) I have decided to do this based completely on my own frustration with the fact that there doesn't seem to be much reading material for/about autistic adults and the way they interact with, and get by in the world.

I am admitedly Very poor at communicating, so my posts may, at times seem Ill thought out, or just poorly concieved. Further, My spelling is horrible; but I will do my best to communicate my thoughts clearly, and concicely. Please bear with me.

I hope you find this blog to be helpful, and If you read a post you found particularly helpful , or if you have a question, or an Idea for a post, I hope you leave a comment.

Thank you for reading,

-OT

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Relationships? not likely.

I just want to say, right off the bat, that this isn't some "pity me" post, It is just a regular post partaining to relationships.

I just broke up with my Girlfriend of 8 months. She was really good to me; She respected my differences, and for the most part, tried to accomidate them whenever possible. She did however have a strange habit of randomly trying to convince me I didn'r have an ASD. I think maybe, despite her loving me, it was a hard pill to swallow sometimes, and I can understand that.We had a lot in common though, from our political views, to the fact we despized most everybody (more on that in a later post) But despite how good we were together, I just couldn't make it work. She wanted to be with me all the time. In 8 months I got maybe 2 weeks (collectively) alone. and I am a VERY solitary creature. I can be alone for LONG periods of time and be more happy than a kid on Christmas.

She couldn't understand that. she didn't understand how even though I loved her, I didn't want to be with her. It's apparrently a difficult thing for "normal people" (pardon the venacular) to comprehend. I would've been pleased as punch to see her 2, Maybe 3 times a week; but whenever I tried to tell her that, she'd almost have a panic attack.
Finally it got to be too much, and I regretibly had to end it.
Breaking up was a strange thing for me. I have been umped in the past, but I've never done the dumping. Because of the way my mind works, I found myself looking at the whole experience as it unraveled from somewhat of a third party perspective. I kept having to snap myself back into the moment and try to show what I thought would be appropreate response. Most of the breakup was spent observing, wondering why she reacted certain ways, and trying to figure out how I should be reacting.....again, I thing this would be a hard thing for "normal people" to understand.
It's funny. Before I knew I had asperger's, I always wondered why people were able to react immediately, how certain things that I had to learn, were like instinct to them, Durring this new breaking up experience, I found myself being placed in a way back in the currious, observational position of my childhood.I think a solitary life is the curse of many people with Aspergers. (I hate the term Aspie - but again, another topic for another post) I can only speak from personal experience, but I don't even care to meet people because I conditioned myself as a child to expect rejection. Also, I find much of humanity to be intollerable, irrational, Irritating, and often disgusting.

So, what about you, Non-existant reader? what struggles have you, or (someone you love with an ASD) had in personal relationships? any? how have you learned to deal with it?Maybe you/they are perfectly adept at making and keeping friends and aquaintences.
I would love to find out, if you do exist, and have a moment, please leave me a note.

1 comment:

  1. In some ways, I can relate to what you're saying. In other ways, you seem to be a bit extreme, to the point where I wonder if it's all just a self fulfilling prophesy.

    I get frustrated at social situations, because I wish that I could just react to what people are saying, instead of trying to figure out what is going on. I guess that maybe I will be alone for the rest of my life.

    --
    Sincerely, and with thanks,
    Eugene T.S. Wong
    [a.k.a. Hosiery Advocate]

    ReplyDelete