Welcome to Living-Autistic

Call me OT; I have Asperger's Syndrome. AS is an autism spectrum disorder, or to put it more simply: a Type of High functioning Autism.
I have created this blog as a way of providing personal stories, insight, opinion, resorce, and help to other people living with a ASD's.(Autism spectrum Disorders) I have decided to do this based completely on my own frustration with the fact that there doesn't seem to be much reading material for/about autistic adults and the way they interact with, and get by in the world.

I am admitedly Very poor at communicating, so my posts may, at times seem Ill thought out, or just poorly concieved. Further, My spelling is horrible; but I will do my best to communicate my thoughts clearly, and concicely. Please bear with me.

I hope you find this blog to be helpful, and If you read a post you found particularly helpful , or if you have a question, or an Idea for a post, I hope you leave a comment.

Thank you for reading,

-OT

Friday, November 27, 2009

Facial ques.

I mentioned these in my last post, but I thought I would bring up another personal experience.
I am an artist, I draw and digitally paint for a living. Specifically, I am an illustrator. It affords me the oppertunity to work alone, and I love it.

I am accomplished in capturing the gesture of my subjects, clothing and textures, Everything works well. I have worked hard, and comitted myself to being the best I can be. (It really is the only viable skill I have)

However, my work always gets the same critique: Frequently the faces in my work are plain, Emotionless, expressionless. I can't seem to avoid doing this. Once it's pointed out to me, I usually change it, and it looks fine, but I don't see it initially. Much like the clutter in my house, It can be plain as day, and for some reason I won't notice it until it is pointed out to me.

This all ties in with real life. I have mentioned that growing up, I had a hard time recognizing varried expressions, but I have not mentioned that I was all but unable to emote through expression, myself. I also always spoke in a low monotone with little to no inflection.
I had to learn these things, they didn't come naturally to me.
Now I often overdo my facial ques and vocal inflection. People say I often seem exagerated, and even cartoonish.

I don't know which is worse, understated or over; but now it is just natural to me to be loud, with exagerated expressions. Ironicly, hate loud people. They iritate me a lot.

Either way, I suppose this post is a little pointless, but I am posting it in hopes that it'll least be something to which someone might be able to relate.

No comments:

Post a Comment