Welcome to Living-Autistic

Call me OT; I have Asperger's Syndrome. AS is an autism spectrum disorder, or to put it more simply: a Type of High functioning Autism.
I have created this blog as a way of providing personal stories, insight, opinion, resorce, and help to other people living with a ASD's.(Autism spectrum Disorders) I have decided to do this based completely on my own frustration with the fact that there doesn't seem to be much reading material for/about autistic adults and the way they interact with, and get by in the world.

I am admitedly Very poor at communicating, so my posts may, at times seem Ill thought out, or just poorly concieved. Further, My spelling is horrible; but I will do my best to communicate my thoughts clearly, and concicely. Please bear with me.

I hope you find this blog to be helpful, and If you read a post you found particularly helpful , or if you have a question, or an Idea for a post, I hope you leave a comment.

Thank you for reading,

-OT

Sunday, December 6, 2009

Wow, It's been a while sonce I posted.....not that anybody's reading in real time anyway.

Here is another topic important to understanding the ASD:

I am a man of Obsession. I'm Not Obsessive-Compulsive, I just develop fixations, I have no control over what I develop fixations toward. They can come and go. one day I will be completely obsessed with a thing, then the next day, It will be irrelavant, and immaterial to me.


The types of things upon which I fixate can varry wildly; Anything from movies, and history, to machinery or music.
I need my fixations, They help me have purpose. When I have no obsession, I feel out of sorts, confused, and bewildered. Redundant? Yes, but it illustrates my point. I currently have no obsession. It's odd; When I'm fixated on something, it gives me more focus in all aspects of my life.
I feel a strange and unique connection to whatever it is over which I am obsessing; It consumes me. Not to the point that it gets in the way of my life, just that I become so attached to, and fascenated by it, that it's all about which I can think, and The only thing I want to discuss. I will spend all my free time pouring over resorces concerning that topic, I will fashion myself into an expert, knowing all aspects of it out of hand; not because I particualarly, conciencousely want to, but because I am compelled in a way which I don't think most people could understand. After establishing a superior knowledgebase regarding my topic (whatever it may be) I will promptly......forget it.
Yes, It will completely leave my mind, and I will not be able to remember, or keep straight the facts which I have been studying and obsession over so much. It's almost like my brain is making room for the next onslaught of unformation regarding the next topic over which I unwittingly become obsessed.

I don't know why, really. All I know is that is what happens.

Forgive me for not being more elequent, or covering the topic more, but I'm not in a particularly conversive mood at the moment. I'm sure this is yet another topic which will undoubtedly come up again, and I will extrapolate on it further then.

No comments:

Post a Comment